Carrot Cupcakes : Healthy and not so sweet
I love baking things that you can use just a paddle and a bowl and no machine ( Kitchen Aid I do love you but using my hands is my favourite option) also knowing that we can do without a blender makes me smile.
Carrot muffins, taste of carrot but they are not sweet and rich. Light and healthy.
|Carrot Cupcake with Cream Cheese frosting and fondant carrot|
Recipe: Carrot Muffins
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups carrots, grated
1/2 cup walnuts, crushed
1/2 cup raisins
2 tsp vanilla
1 apple,peeled and cored,chopped (1 3/4 cups).
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree. Line your muffin/cupcake pans
- Sieve the dry ingredients flour,salt,baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar,oil and eggs. Mix until they are well combined.
- Stir in the carrots,walnuts,raisins, vanilla and apple.
- Fold in the flour mixture. Don't over beat.
- Spoon the mixture, I like to use an ice scoop to drop my mixture.
- Bake them for 20 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Muffins are for breakfast, normally contain fruit, batter isn't as smooth as cupcakes mixture, are larger than cupcakes. Like in England the cupcake liners are much smaller than a muffin liners.
- In simple terms cupcakes are iced and muffins aren't.
- Remember to use really good quality carrots your muffins are directly related to the type of carrots you use.
- I made the carrot muffins and iced them with cream-butter cheese frosting the same frosting as the red velvet cupcakes.