Raw Rice 300 gms.
Dry red chili whole 4 nos.
Mustard seeds 1 tsp.
Bengal gram (Chana dal) 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder ½ tsp.
Lemon juice of 3 no medium size.
Asafoetida A pinch
Curry leaves 10-12 nos.
Oil 4 tsp.
Salt To taste
1. Pick, wash and soak rice for about 20 minutes. Drain. Boil in plenty of boiling salted water until almost done. Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat oil or Ghee in a Kadai . Add a pinch of asafoetida. Add dry red chili and bengal gram, cook until dal changes color to light brown.
3. Add mustard seeds. Let mustard seeds crackle, then add curry leaves. Stir fry for half a minute.
4. Add it to cooked rice.
5. Mix salt, lime juice and turmeric powder in a bowl and add it to the cooked rice. Mix thoroughly.
6. Serve with coconut chutney and sambar.