Thursday, June 30, 2011


Authentic Hyderabadi Biryani

1 kg mutton meat
Garlic-Ginger paste (2tbs)
6 green chilies
Whole Garam Masala
1tsp Nutmeg powder
1tsp Allspice
1/2tsp Mace
200grams of fried onions
500ml yoghurt
2tbsp chili powder
2tsp haldi
3tsb shahi jeera
Harra pata - coriander, mint and parsley
juice from 1 lemin
half cup of raw papaya- shreded
4tsb of refined oil
2tsb of water
1tsp rose water
1tsp kewara
6tsp of saffron- soked in 2tsb of warm milk
6tsb of buffallo milk (can use cows milk)

Mix all the marinate together and leave for around 4-6 hours (overnight would be ideal). Chili and salt as per taste.

1kg meat = 1.5 rice

Boil 1.5 kg of rice. Could half of it upto 40% so if your rice takes 10mins to boil then 40% would be 4mins and the rest at 60% so again using the 10mins as an example cook it for 6mins. All depends on which rice you use and how long it takes to cook.

Put the marinated meat into a pan (clay or tangines are ideal) and put the 40% rice first and then 60% rice. Then pour the milk and then the saffron milk over the rice. Sprinkle some mint leaves.

For DAMM, get some dough and apply it on the edges of the pan and put the lid on. Put a heavey stone or anything on top of the pan.

Because you have added raw papaya that will tenderise the meat. If you have an open log fire which you can use then cook for 45 mins. If you are using a cooker then cook for 1 hour and 20mins. If you have a thin pan then put the pan on the tawa and cook on low flame. InshaAllah your biryani will be perfect. But if you are new to making this then I suggest you cook the rice to one grain i.e. 50% instead of using 2 layers. And as you progress you can use 2 and then 3. I use 3 layers, 40% 60% and 80%. Also remember when Hyderabadi biryani was first made they didn't have vinegar or any meat tenderisers. As Hyderabad is in South of India Papaya is often grown. It is a fantastic tenderiser. You can even use the juice of a raw papaya and pour it over the meat. Never use artificial ones the taste is never the same. Also this can be made with chicken but that is not authentic. For chicken you will need to cook the rice at 50-60% and cook for aroun 40-50mins. Also if you want you can use rose petals which is also used in Hyderabad. Give it a sweety taste.

To go with this you should have either mirchi ka salan or cut tomatoe ( I will upload recipes for that too IA).

No comments:

Post a Comment